Thursday, June 25, 2009



How do you choose one image over another.  That's the dilemma I suffered today with these two similar but very different images.  Which is stronger?  The direct gaze or the gaze to the side?  Which one pulls you in?  Which person do you want to meet?

I've always been drawn to beauty and it disturbs me that beauty is often cast aside as if it were not important enough in art and that it only serves a commercial purpose.  I differ.  Beauty enlivens my world.   Years ago, my nephew, who was only about eight at the time) expressed his exasperation with his older sister's choice of music.  "It's not even pretty," he exclaimed.  Even at such a young age he was drawn to that which sounded beautiful to him.  So even children acknowledge and recognize beauty and find pleasure in it.

No comments: